Tuesday, July 22, 2008

to pleat, or not to pleat...that is the question

After a rather lengthy weekend hiatus, I am back today to talk about pleats. Speficially, pleats in men's pants.

Pleated



or Flat

Rumor has it they are no longer in. There was an article in one of the local papers recently about how you can tell whether a guy is keeping up with fashion by whether or not his pants are pleated. "I haven't worn pleats since I was in jr. high," one young, rather snobbish figure was quoted as saying.

I'm not sure that I am 100% behind the no-pleat movement. Not that I have a great affinity for pleats. My reluctance for endorsement is more based out of simple economic concerns. For those working on Wall Street, or your average reader of GQ, who can afford the $350 t-shirts and $800 jeans, buying a dozen new suits to replace their pleated ones is no big deal. But for the average joe schmoe (namely, me), the thought of going out and buying 6 new suits is a daunting, and financially crippling possibility. Does that mean that I do not know how to dress well? I'd like to think not.

There is the additional concern with the removal of pleats. I cannot recall anyone that does not have a slim or athletic build wearing pleated pants. At some unknown point, one's midsection is no longer flattered by trousers with a flat front. There cannot, and should not, be a societal expectation that any male, regardless of build, must wear non-pleated pants, lest they be considered out of style.

No man over the age of 55 should wear unpleated pants. It is too much of a young-person look, and it just looks like they are trying too hard to be young. Consider it the male equivalent of a grandmother still trying to get away with wearing spaghetti strap tops and mini skirts.

Bottom line: guys, if you're getting new pants anyway, go with the flat front. But if you already have them, don't stress too much about replacing your pants. And ladies, cut your guy a little slack if he is still wearing pleats. Remember that he could be making you pay for everything so he can buy clothes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder about the comment that not all men look good in flat front pants. That is a fallacy with women, many are misguided that flat fronts are only for slim females and that those of us with more girth should choose pleats. But that is mistaken, pleats are wrong on all women. Guys of course are different so maybe bigger guys can't pull off the flat fronts.

Anonymous said...

Richard/Derek - you crack me up! I can't believe you used your nonflattering photo for your blog cover. ah ha ha ha :) And, you even re-did it! :)
this is very interesting about pleats. I had a conversation w/ my British coworker recently about how nonpleated pants were in over there way before here. Interesting!