Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Entry number 1: taking care of details

The contents of this blog are, to a large degree, based on the requests of coworkers. It seems that there are things they want to know about, and, as the fastest googler in the office, it has fallen to me to provide answers. Its random stuff. Anything like, "where was Cynthia McKenny born?" (Atlanta, GA. She is also the Green Party's Presidential nominee.) to "What's the difference between coke, crack, and smack?" (coke=cocaine, crack=meth, smack=heroin--I know these because I looked them up, not because I have any personal experience with any of it). So now, after being told repeatedly, "that needs to go in your blog," I'm finally making one.

I've also been told that this needs to be a fashion blog. I don't know why I got stuck with being responsible for all office comments on fashion. I mean, I try to dress fairly well, but I'm not always successful. I suppose this is what I get for talking about seersucker one day with a fake lisp like the sides of my tongue are too big for my mouth and get in the way when I talk.

So here's a little bit about fashion for you today. Narrow ties are coming back. Remember back in the 80's when it was cool to have a pencil-thin strip of cloth wrapped around a guy's neck? (I don't really remember it; in the 80's, "tie" for me was a verb describing what I was learning how to do with my shoelaces.) Rumor has it, that sort of style is coming back. Along with smaller knots, and dress shirt collars that flare out a bit more (think of the point touching the top of the collarbone, rather than 1/4 inch below it). Don't ask me why the small knots and the flared collars go together, or what makes them popular. That's just what I've heard.

3 comments:

Sean said...

I've already added you to my blog's list of 'fellow bloggers'. Which reminds me, I haven't posted an entry in some time...

Anonymous said...

DZ - I am so thrilled that your blog dream has become a reality. I'm sure we'll learn a lot of really good stuff here.
I do want to caution you, however, against discussing or referring to age. Don't want you to offend any potential fans.

BCCPaddy said...

Not to bust on your first post, Derek, but Crack is actually a reference to a specific rendering of cocaine. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crack_cocaine

Methamphetamine's nicknames include: "ice", "crystal", "tina", "p", and "glass".

The cocaine reference goes well with the comments on 80's ties. Nothing like wearing a strip tie while doing a line of coke off the hood of your convertible BMW. Or so Emilio Estevez tells me...